7/16/09

Thing 7 Video sourcing

All I can say is we've come a long way from filmstrips!

I am overwhelmed by the amount of videos available to watch. I enjoyed browsing throught the PBS stuff. I also liked the promo video for the National Archives. The message about documents as recorded history is important for kids to hear. As a writing teacher, I think the videos can help prove why keeping a journal (digital and print) is important. Also, as an historical research facilitator, the clips help us to see how primary sources can unveil history.


http://www.pbs.org/video/program/1100231536/

The above link looks like a great show to tie into my archeologist unit. We become archeologists and learn about cultures by "digging" through sources.

The link below is the Time Team America video about the Lost Colony in Roanoake, NC. I loved watching this because I have a lot of family history with this area. My grandmother and grandfather were married on Roanoke Island. My grandfather served in the Civil Air Patrol
there, and my middle name, Dare, came from Virgina Dare, the first baby born in the colonies. Her parents --The Dares--helped to start the colony. This could be a jumpstart into learning about exploration and settlements while also serving as a way for me to model personal journaling about my history.
http://www.pbs.org/video/video/1098873031

No comments:

Post a Comment